MARINDUQUE.GOV.PH

Heart and Center of the Philippines

Headlines

Monday, July 1, 2019

Statement of Marinduque Rep. Velasco on speaker term-sharing proposal


BOAC, Marinduque - Marinduque Representative Lord Allan Jay Velasco said he is not in favor of the proposed term-sharing as this was not the will of the majority of congressmen.

Velasco says, "President Duterte already made clear his position that he would leave the choice for Speakership to the capable hands of the members of Congress and will not endorse a particular individual for the position. This declaration never mentioned a term sharing for the position of Speaker."

"There is a strong consensus among majority members of the House of Representatives during my series of consultation with them that term-sharing is divisive and will only impede the passage of important pieces of legislation that this administration needs to fulfill its mandate and promise to the people."

"I thank my party PDP Laban for the honor of selecting me as their candidate for Speaker. I am ready to take on the task as I have been ready since the SONA day of 2018. I commit to promote unity in the House, push for the agenda of the Duterte administration and serve our country to the best of my abilities", Rep. Velasco concluded. - Marinduquenews.com