Heart and Center of the Philippines


Friday, January 5, 2018

History of the Town of Buenavista

About the year 1570, Juan Salcedo and Martin de Goiti were the first Spaniards to explore Marinduque. In 1581, Marinduque was assigned by the Spanish Government to be part of the new province of “Balayan” also called “Bombom” now known as Batangas. Early in the 17th Century, Marinduque was separated from Balayan (Batangas) and placed under the jurisdiction of the new corrigimento of Mindoro until 1898.

The Civil Province of Marinduque was first created on May 1, 1901 with its capital at Boac. On November 10, 1902, Marinduque was dissolved and annexed to Tayabas (Quezon) and after five years, Marinduque was made sub-province effective August 10, 1907, and became independent province on February 21, 1920.

Marinduque had four towns namely: The town of Boac, which was established in 1735, Sta. Cruz in 1790, Torrijos in 1871, and Gasan in 1800. Mogpog begun as a community in 1807 as a barrio of Boac, while Buenavista, formerly called “Sabang” was then the largest barrio in the town of Gasan. Buenavista, as a sitio of Gasan in 1850, and later as a barrio in 1870.

The first few years of the American regime was devoted to the establishment of the permanent autonomy of the two municipalities of Mogpog and Buenavista. In 1910, Mogpog regained her former status as a separate municipality, and Buenavista was elevated into a municipality in November 9, 1918 under the able leadership of Don Agaton Sarmiento and Don Ciriaco Arevalo who petitioned through then Lt. Governor, Don Pedro Madrigal of the sub-province of Marinduque.

The inauguration of the new town of Buenavista took place on January 12, 1919; on which date Don Agaton Sarmiento took his oath of office as Municipal President of Buenavista before Governor Madrigal. Likewise, the members of the Municipal Council of Buenavista were sworn into office. They were: Don Pablo Sevilla as Vice-President, Don Ciriaco Arevalo as Secretary, Leoncio Sadiwa, Narciso Verdote, Victorino Sumagui, Nicasio Castillo, Felix Soleta, Paulino Sumagui and Valentin Mercene as Municipal Councilors. Pedro Cayetano as Treasurer, Dionisio Padua as Chief of Police and Benito Sotto as Sanitary Inspector.

The town of Buenavista continued to remain as a progressing municipality headed by her famous and dedicated political leaders namely:

The Spaniards, formerly called Buenavista, “Sabang” when they were exploring that part of the island of Marinduque. It was reckoned that when the explorers were standing on the shores of Buenavista, they had a “good-view” (Buena-Vista) in Spanish; of the sea with the island of Mindoro yonder and the beautifully aligned three islets which they already called “Isla de los Tres Reyes” (Isles of the Three Kings) Melchor, Gaspar and Baltazar. Hence, the two words “Buena-Vista” joined together formed the name Buenavista, which had remained a beautiful name of the municipality up to the present day.

Buenavista now of the six Municipalities of the heart-shaped province of Marinduque is situated at the Southern part of the province and southwest by Tablas Strait and on the East by the Municipality of Torrijos.

The Municipality of Buenavista has a land area of 8,155.6873 hectares with 15 Barangay of which 4 from the Poblacion and 11 Barangay in the rural areas.

The official Seal of the Municipality is shaped like the Commonwealth Seal. The center had a green colored mountain, symbolizing the lush meadow of Mt. Malindig, which is more than 5,000 ft. above sea level.

At the foot of the mountain, depicts a coconut tree and a fish implying the two most important products of the community. In the background also shows a body of water, which is a portion of Tablas Strait. Historic symbols of its Coat-of-Arms are the crucifix and the sword, which characterize a colonization of the Spanish Catholic faith.

Since then, the municipality of Buenavista became an independent town. It recorded a steady a rise of economic development but manage to maintain its tranquility.